Wednesday 7 March 2012

the Mount's International Student Society (ISS)


At the Mount, I was treated as an international student even though I landed in Canada as a permanent resident. The International Education Centre (IEC), which I now work for as International Student Liaison, had always included me in their events and social activities. The IEC also introduced me to the Mount's International Student Society (ISS). This society brings all international students together through a series of events in hopes that we all learn about each other's cultures and to help one another cope with the new change of environment and culture of Canada. In 2009, I was nominated to be its Student Events Coordinator and since then, I have been very much involved with international activities. This role came with many challenges and joys that I most certainly have grown and developed positively.

As events coordinator, I had to plan and organize the year-round events and the biggest of all, Multicultural Night, which takes place at the end of the fall semester. By far, this was one of the hardest things I had done. This being my very first big project, my resourcefulness, leadership, dedication, and other organizational skills were tested. I can honestly say that I had no experience whatsoever in any volunteer work. I had never been an active member of any society nor did I have any experience in organizing events. Despite all these, and with my time and energy, along with the help of the ISS board and the Mount, the event was sold out and very successful. I was so proud of what we had accomplished, what I could have accomplished, and I wanted to continue growing and learning with the ISS and the Mount.

This experience was very rewarding that I became internally motivated to be part of as many activities as I could. To be more involved and to succeed in what I do started to become a need, and is now an addiction that I continuously crave. I continue to be an active member of ISS, currently holding the position of Asian representative, and will continue to be active until I graduate.

I <3 ISS!

ISS downtown social

No comments:

Post a Comment