Wednesday 22 February 2012

Chicken and Shadow in the Philippines

If you have read my first post, you would have realized that my dogs mean a LOT to me. I have always wanted a dog but my mother never allowed me to have one because in her opinion I am not responsible enough to care for another living being that requires more than feeding. It is true that dogs can be a lot of work; feeding, bathing, walking, grooming, playing and veterinarian appointments. Regardless, that did not stop me for I was very determined to have my own dog.


Chicken playing with his stuffed toy chicken
After continuously begging, my father bought me a puppy. My very first puppy was Chicken; a toy poodle and was 5 months old at the time. My mother was not pleased with this surprise. However, Chicken being his very charming self, my mother began to love him. This was great, my mother now loves dogs! I took advantage of this opportunity to bring home another dog. I told my mother it would be good for Chicken to have a puppy playmate/brother since we were out most of the day. My mom was very hesitant but she eventually agreed.


Shadow begging for food
My second puppy was Shadow. Shadow is a miniature Schnauzer and was 7 months old when I got him. I told my mother that my best friend is giving me a miniature Schnauzer however, he was not what my mother was expecting. In my mother's mind, I was bringing home a puppy just as small as Chicken, not thrice his size! Nonetheless, Shadow was here to stay and she could not do anything about it. Like Chicken, she began to love Shadow, him being very sweet and affectionate.


In no time, Chicken and Shadow became the center and heart of my family. I was very happy to see the changes they unknowingly made. They brought out compassion, love, patience, and happiness. Unfortunately, just as they became a big part of our family, we had to move to Canada. We were all very sad and I was crying like I had the ocean to fill. As much as we wanted to take them with us, we could not because most apartments here in Canada do not allow dogs. Luckily, my really good friend took them in and I promised them that I would be back. I was not sure when but I was to come back for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment