Monday 6 February 2012

My First Canadian Work Experience

Moving to Canada came with extreme lifestyle change and financial sacrifices. I had to find a job, somewhat support myself, and also contribute to my family. The whole process of moving and adapting to Canadian lifestyle/culture was difficult enough, more so obtaining a job. Regardless, I tried.

Soon after being accepted at the Mount, I started my job search. The master plan was to apply everywhere and anywhere. I prepared my resume and I went door to door asking for the manager to ensure that my resume gets to be reviewed, at least. A few days went by and I received a call for a job interview from Winners. This interview being my first ever, I was nervous as I ever could be. My father prepared me for it but unfortunately, I did not get hired. I did a follow-up call for that interview as well as the stores I  dropped off my resume to. Their response was, I do not have sufficient experience, specifically not having any Canadian experience. I was discouraged and not impressed to say the least.

My father told me to get back on my feet and continue applying. He also suggested that I volunteer because that can be credited towards my "Canadian experience". I did as I was advised. Just a week prior to the beginning of school I received a phone call and it was from MSVU. At this point, I was so discouraged that I did not even thinking that it could be the job I applied for at Vinnie's pub. To my surprise, it was Todd Hoffman the new manager of Vinnie's pub, and he asked that I come in for an interview. I went to the interview and it was a success, I was hired!

To date, I am working at Vinnie's Pub & Student Lounge and still very thankful for giving me that first Canadian experience.

Cheers!


Bartending in Vinnie's pub

No comments:

Post a Comment