Tuesday 7 February 2012

First Winter

Coming from a tropical country, I have never experienced winter season. I have seen snow when I was 9 years old and I thought it would be the same thing, but I was wrong.

I remember when I first saw snow falling, it was beautiful! While having my morning coffee I looked outside the windows, there it was, snow. I had a big smile. I was excited and could not wait to get out. I stepped out to our balcony and finished my coffee. I went back in to get ready for school and I said to myself, walking to the bus stop should be fun. As I was walking, I looked around and saw how pretty snow was. Everything was white and clean looking. I felt like I was in a dream. I felt like I was a kid in winter wonder land. I was happy that day.

A few days passed and snow started to melt. It was no longer a winter wonder land for me. Soon after, temperature started to drop and I was COLD! I did not want this anymore. Weeks after, it became worse for me. Temperature dropped to -30 and I had to wear two pairs of long john's as well as several layers of tops. I hated it! I could not move as well. I had to take extra time in the morning to dress up. I had to take out layers when I was in class and again put them back on as I left the classroom.

Looking back, I do not know how I survived. By far, that was the coldest winter I have experienced. However, I have somewhat adjusted to the coldness and I rarely wear long john's anymore. I still enjoy snowfalls, especially the first snowfall of the season, but in my heart I know I will always be an island girl.

Summer all the way!

Kay in a bangka (small boat)

No comments:

Post a Comment